Americans eat around 66 pounds of pork every year, which shows how much we love this type of meat.
Pork shank is a popular cut because it’s juicy, packed with flavor, and even more affordable than other options. But with so many ways of cooking pork shank, it’s difficult knowing whether or not you’re doing it justice. Perhaps that’s why you’re here; you’ve never cooked pork shank before and are searching for inspiration.
Sounds like you? No worries, we’ve got your back. Here’s how to cook pork shank.
Table of Contents
Grab Your Ingredients
One of the best ways to cook pork shank is by braising, where you lightly fry the meat before stewing it in a closed container. The beauty of this method is that it tenderizes the shank and enhances the flavor. Plus, it gives you the option of straining any fat if you want a healthier meal.
Also, you must be mindful of where you source the pork shank. If you’re not sure where to get this tasty cut, click the link to check out quality pork shanks for sale.
Once you’ve got the meat, it’s time to get started with our pork shank recipe.
- Olive oil, one cup
- Onion, chopped
- Carrots, chopped
- Garlic cloves, chopped
- Fresh herbs
- Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Before starting on the pork shank cooking, slather the bottom of a Dutch oven with olive oil
- Warm on the stove at medium heat
- Place the pork shank in the Dutch oven and wait for it to brown on all sides
- Use cooking tongs to alternate sides, which should take two minutes
- Remove the meat from the Dutch oven and drain excess fat if necessary
- Return the pork shank to the oven and crank it up to a high heat
- Add water to the oven until it covers the (soon-to-be) braised pork shank
- Add bay leaves, herbs, and any extra seasonings
- Let the water come to a full boil and then turn down the cooking temperature to low
- Wait for the meat to cook for at least 2 hours, or until it is tender
- Once you’ve learned how to braise pork shank, add your desired veggies to the oven
- Wait for everything to cook for another 25 minutes
- Make sure that the pork shank and vegetables should be fork-tender before removing them from the oven
- Remove any fat that has drifted to the surface
- Now, it’s ready to serve
How to Cook Pork Shank
Hopefully, you’ll follow this recipe to learn how to cook pork shank by braising, which is the ultimate method of cooking.
Start by gathering your key ingredients, such as veggies and seasonings like fresh herbs to create a delicious broth. You should also source fresh meat and leave the shank to broil for at least two hours so that you and your loved ones can enjoy a succulent meal together. Happy cooking!
Enjoyed this article? Great to hear! Then, if you want more, check out the rest of our site for other awesome content.