Global Positioning System (GPS) is a system for figuring out where you are that uses satellites and is owned by the US government and the US Air Force. The basic idea behind GPS is to measure the distance between the receiver and the satellites that can be seen.
The positions of the satellites are predicted and sent to the user along with the GPS signal. The location of the receiver is often found by figuring out where the satellites are and then measuring the distance between the receiver and the satellites.
The speed of the receiver is then the difference in position, which can also be measured in terms of time.
Most of the time, these satellites are 20,000 km above the earth and moving at 14,000 km per hour. These satellites send signals as fast as the sun.
GPS uses the math concept of “trilateration” to figure out where an object is, and it is made up of about 30 satellites that orbit the Earth.
The things that make GPS work are:
- Satellites (the space segment).
- Handle system (operated by U.S. military).
From the signals that satellites send to a receiver, we can figure out where they are.
These signals are picked up by receivers that are built into the things that need to be found.
The most important thing to remember here is that you need at least four satellites to pinpoint the exact location of a receiver on Earth.
Three satellites are used to find out where something is.
The 4th satellite is used to make sure that satellites are in the right place.
A GPS receiver gets information from satellites and uses the triangulation method to figure out where a user is.
Benefits of the Global Positioning System:
- GPS is very easy to use because it tells you which way to go at every turn.
- GPS works no matter what the weather is like, so you don’t have to worry about it like you do with other navigation tools.
- GPS is very cheap compared to other ways to find your way. And currently, SEEWORLD is one of the best GPS providers in the world. Their products mainly target asset and fleet tracking.
- The best thing about this method is that it works everywhere on earth.
- It also lets you find nearby restaurants, hotels, and gas stations, which is very helpful if you need to find a new place to stay.
- Because it’s cheap, it’s easy to combine with other technologies, like the phone.
- The United States government keeps the system up to date, so it is very advanced.
- This is the easiest way to find your way on water, since we often get lost in bigger bodies of water because we don’t have the right directions.
- GPS signals can be found all over the world. So, users won’t be without it anywhere they go.
- GPS can be used almost anywhere in the world because it is powered by satellites. All you need is a good tracking system and a GPS receiver to use GPS.
Disadvantages of worldwide Positioning System:
- Some things can go wrong with GPS, so it’s a good idea to have a backup map and directions just in case.
- If you use GPS on a device that runs on batteries, the battery could die. If that happens, you’ll need an external power source, which isn’t always possible.
- Sometimes GPS signals aren’t accurate because of things like buildings and trees that block them, or because of extreme weather like geomagnetic storms.
- The GPS chip uses a lot of power, so the battery dies in 8 to 12 hours. The battery needs to be changed or charged quite often.
- GPS can’t get through solid walls or buildings. It’s also being hurt by big buildings or structures.